Welcome to the
2013 Community Action Partnership
Management & Leadership Training Conference
Refining Skills, Strengthening Communities, Validating Results
The PROGRAM BOOK is now available!
Please click here to view.
January 9-11, 2013
Coronado Island Marriott Resort
Coronado Island, (San Diego) CA
Greg Werkheiser was our opening keynote speaker on January 9th.
He has just been named Founding Director of the groundbreaking
National Center for Service and Innovative Leadership.
Please click here for the Power Point presentation of his keynote speech.
Please join your Community Action colleagues as we start 2013, an important year for Community Action. This conference will provide the Network several chances to engage in discussions on Organizational Performance Standards, ROMA Next Generation, and receive intensive training in core management areas. Register now for this important national Conference—it is an investment in Community Action.
• Leadership and Governance
• Administration and Fiscal
• Organizational Assessment
• Organizational Performance Standards
• Innovative Community Action Programs
• Community Economic Development
• and much more
Here is a sampling of the in-depth and intense training you can attend at the 2013 Management and Leadership Conference:
• COFFEE & CAFI on Wednesday morning, January 9
Come learn about the new Community Action Financial Institute (CAFI), the Community Action Partnership’s Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). Rob Goldsmith, President and CEO, People Incorporated, Abingdon, VA; CAFI Board Chair; and Partnership Board Member, Region III
• Performance Standards in Community Action are in Development Now!
As we have previously announced, the Partnership has recently secured a grant from the Office of Community Services to facilitate the development of Organizational Performance Standards for Community Action. The CSBG Working Group has been reconvened and expanded, and its committees are hard at work.
We need your input and help – and the first opportunity for you to do this is in person at the Partnership’s Winter Management and Leadership Training Conference. We will be hosting three open sessions –on Standards, Assessments and ROMA: Next Generation- where we will facilitate discussion on how these Standards will be framed, what should be included, and how we will measure success.
• Deb Pagel of Wipfli, LLC will be participating in two important sessions:
Creating a Policies and Procedures Manual
Most organizations have some form of a policy and procedure manual. They run the gamut from long, detailed, all-inclusive manuals that are not user-friendly to an accumulation of memos, e-mails and sticky notes that never officially make it to the manual.
During this session we will discuss the components of a functional policies and procedures manual that will ensure compliance with OMB Circulars, Federal and State Regulations. We will take a common sense approach to showing you how to create or update policies and procedures that promote consistency in dealing with employee and organizational matters.
1. Understand the components of a functional Human Resources Policies and Procedures Manual
2. Help ensure compliance with the many federal and state regulations
3. Learn how to create or update your Human Resources Policies and Procedures
4. Learn how to create or update your Employee Handbook
• Succession vs. Replacement
Succession planning designed to assure success and sustainability is based on the power of on-going leadership development in achieving your vision. Replacement planning is done with the preferred future in mind and is a part of your succession plan. Talent management focuses on your greatest resource to support a strong, successful organization. Learn how every day leadership development techniques and aligning job functions with your plan are the base of your succession plan and smooth the transition when replacement occurs.
Denise Harlow, CCAP and Lil Dupree, CCAP, of the Partnership will co-present with Ms. Pagel. New Partnership Toolkits on Succession Planning and Leadership Development will be referenced throughout the training session.
1. Increased awareness of leadership competencies and aptitudes
2. Increased understanding of succession planning and replacement planning in light of the organization’s strategic plan
3. Increased knowledge of leadership development techniques
4. Increased awareness of how succession and replacement are different and how they complement each other
• Eleanor Evans, Deputy Director and Senior Counsel, CAPLAW• Head Start lessons learned, policy update, and strategies for the year ahead (co-presented with Partnership Head Start Task Force Chair, Biz Steinberg)
Do you have dreams for your program, your career, your life? Do you struggle to define what you really want to achieve, no less how you will achieve it? Looking at how to succeed while meeting day-to-day demands? In this interactive and fun workshop, you will have the chance to learn a new approach to planning for success for your agency, your career and your life and to leave the workshop with a clear vision for desired outcomes and creative practical strategies to reach them.
• Melanie Herman, Nonprofit Risk Management Center: Risk Assessment
Ms. Herman will be highlighting the many useful aspects of our Online Community Action Risk Assessment Tool done in partnership with the Center. She will also outline how Agencies and State Associations can access additional Nonprofit Risk Management Center resources such as discounts on risk mitigation and management trainings and publications as well as access to their Q/A Center.
Tim Reese, CCAP, and Lynn Grogan, Cal-Neva State Association: Lessons Learned on the Road to Telling Our Story, an overview of past and current best practices regarding community action messaging, marketing and branding. Ample opportunity will be provided by participants to engage in discussions of current challenges, successes and thoughts regarding next steps for the network.
• Open Discussion: Organization Assessment and Organization Standards, led by the Partnership T&TA Team
• An introduction to the new Community Action Financial Institute (CAFI) with Rob Goldsmith, CCAP
David Bradley will present a Legislative Update at breakfast on Thursday, January 10 and we will have a special guest speaker for our all-conference Luncheon on Thursday at noon.
Mingle with your colleagues and share updates, information, and dialogue at a “Bayside” Welcome Reception on Wednesday evening, January 9.
Click here to make your room reservations at the Coronado Island Marriott
Click here for the registration form
Click here to register for the Conference online.
Continue to watch this space over the coming weeks!
Click here to see the 2012 Management and Leadership Training Conference Page
Click here to see the 2011 Management and Leadership Training Conference Page
Click here to see the 2010 Management and Leadership Training Conference Page
Click here to see the 2009 Management and Leadership Training Conference Page
- About Us
- Community Action Network
- Grass Roots in the News
- Job Creation and Green Jobs