RURAL TASK FORCE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
PURPOSE | RESOURCES | RESEARCH | MEETING MINUTES
Rural America Task Force
As the Task Force continues to evolve, the
initial purpose/focus/tasks have and will continue to change/ gain clarity.
• Our focus – member agencies and the people they serve
• Tell the story of rural America – this is a way to generate attention/focus
- Bring in member agencies that need assistance/guidance
- Bring together rural areas
- Convene different groups interested in these issues
• Advocacy – be an effective voice (promote focus on rural America)
- Change negative image of rural America to positive (i.e., rural America a drag on society)
- Change myths (i.e., rural poverty down)
• Expand partnerships
- Bring voice to the people
- Who do we partner with?
- Who can we partner with who share our agenda (credibility).
- Who can we partner with for funding?
- Grant development
Identify/share strategies that have worked
- Highlight needs/services
- Identify best practices
- Engage partnership members in strategies they
can use to advance / improve rural America.
- Funding may not exists, but important strategies
can be developed/implemented via partnerships
- Catalog strategies that work
- Share them with the network
Create system to share information
- Web site (resources, etc.)
- NCAP newsletter – highlight impact/success
stories in rural America
- Via national conference – facilitate workshops
on rural America
- Via webinars – (provide different agencies with
• Must ensure don’t isolate / ignore urban areas –
our common factor = poverty.
The Forgotten Fifth – Child Poverty in Rural America
University of New Hampshire
White House Rural Council
Rural America and the President’s Jobs Plan
Rural Community Assistance Corporation
The Economics of Food, Farming, Natural Resources, and Rural America
Hidden Harvest Research
was founded by Christy Porter, a former award-winning photojournalist and
aficionado of fresh produce and those who grow it. The Desert Community
Foundation helped Hidden Harvest get started by purchasing a 17,000 square foot
warehouse headquarters on 3½ acres in Coachella, California.
CLICK HERE TO READ THIS REPORT
• Meeting minutes for 12-13-11
• Meeting minutes for 11-7-11
• Meeting minutes for 10-6-11